Legal Question in Family Law in California

family law

my girlfriend of 10 years and i bought a house together, the deed is in her name, i paid for it, she has thrown me out, do i have any rights?

Asked on 1/10/09, 1:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Re: family law

Greetings. Thank you for allowing me to respond. These types of questions are difficult in Florida, if this is where the property is. The reason why, is that generally, "family laws" do not apply to people that are not married.

Generally, a possible remedy would be to bring a lawsuit against the girlfriend for a breach of contract in a civil (non-family court). This could work if you and your girlfriend had an understanding or agreement that both of you would own the house when it was purchased.

Sometimes, these are called implied contracts because although you may have not expressly made a written agreement with the girlfriend regarding the house, it was understood, generally, that both parties had rights to the house.

In summary, I would consult a local attorney to determine your rights. I hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER (I really don’t like this but it is necessary): This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for “Legal Informational” purposes only and should not be confused with “Legal Advice” and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advise for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship between you and Ali Kirk, Attorney at Law. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

Read more
Answered on 1/15/09, 3:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California