Legal Question in Family Law in California

Hi, me and my husband are thinking to get divorced. We are citizens of different countries,we have green cards from US. We have small kids - 2 years old and 5 months old (breastfed) and prenuptial agreement as well. I have no income ( I can not afford an attorney) and scared that my husband might take kids away paying money...Please, let me know what best I can start doing right now to secure kids and myself in future? I know that the simplest divorce case might take up to 6 months time and I am confused ( my husband pays for car, cellphone, internet) whether he can take away everything what he paying before. TNX!

Asked on 7/16/12, 4:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

A California divorce marriage termination judgment cannot happen any earlier than 6 months from the date the divorce petition was served. However, you can get interim orders and protections from the court by setting a motion on such issues as child custody, support, spousal support, paying expenses and restraining orders.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/12, 6:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California