Legal Question in Family Law in California

I was married 23 years and have no children, I raised her children put them through college, and raised them as my own. I have been divorce 8 years and pay allimony. When can I stop paying and move on with my life? She is doing better than I financially.

Asked on 11/28/10, 12:12 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Sanchez Law Office of James V. Sanchez

Your marriage definitely fits into the category of a marriage of long duration. Unless there are specific facts to create an exception, or unless you signed a marital settlement agreement otherwise, spousal support in either direction would last until the other party passes away or gets remarried.

Adjustments, however, can be requested under certain circumstances to the amount paid. A competent family law attorney can advise you as to whether or not you have such circumstances, or if you wish, to make an order to show cause to reduce spousal support.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/10, 1:08 am
JULIEANN SAYEGH Law Offices of Julieann R. Sayegh

If your circumstances have changed since the last order and she is now in a better financial situation than you are, more than likely you can file a post judgment modification for spousal support. The court will then set the matter for a 4320 hearing, where it considers all the factors in the Family Code Section 4320.

Best of Luck

Read more
Answered on 12/03/10, 10:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California