Legal Question in Family Law in California

In original Divorce I was Petitioner. My ex hired a lawyer and is filing for Alimony Modification. They filed with the Court 3 weeks ago and I still have not received much longer to receive paperwork and in "Response" I become Respondent instead of Petitioner in this action?

Asked on 2/08/13, 4:57 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

No, you're the petitioner. You will always be the petitioner for the case that you filed. So your paperwork would be petitioner's "opposition" or "response" but you do not become the respondent.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/13, 5:34 pm
Bruce Boice Law Office of Boice & Associates

1) You should receive notice of modification of an existing order a few weeks before the hearing.

2) You will always be the petitioner. Your ex filled out the paperwork incorrectly.

3) Look your case up at to get information on the court date.



Read more
Answered on 2/08/13, 5:35 pm
Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

You are the petitioner and responding party to the motion.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/13, 5:49 pm
Patrick McCrary Law Office Of Patrick L. McCrary

You must receive the paperwork before the court hearing in sufficient time to respond to the motion. I can tell you that I taught a seminar for attorneys and judges on the issue of spousal support (It is not alimony in California, no real difference) and it is a very complex issue. It is a must that you get a consultation with an attorney and be represented on this issue. You can probably get the court to order your ex-husband to pay a portion of your attorney's fees.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/13, 6:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California