Legal Question in Family Law in California

Personal items

Starting on December 27, 2008, I was living with a man with the intention of eventually marrying him. During this time I found out some things about him that turned me off and made me not want to continue the relationship. I moved out of his apartment. During the time I lived with him I didn't have a job so he offered to pay some of my bills until I got on my feet. I never said that I didn't owe him the money. Last weekend I went and moved my things out of his apartment, but not the items in his storage unit. He said I had until June since he had the unit until then. This morning I received an email from him stating that I had 60 days to pay him $905.00 or he was going to sell my things and destroy what he couldn't sell to cover the $905.00. Is that legal? Can he hold my personal things hostage for money I owe him. Until this morning he hadn't even asked me to pay him back. He is just hurt and wants to be mean. Can he do that or can I go get my things and set up a payment schedule?

Asked on 3/06/09, 4:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: Personal items

Can he be mean and hurtful. Of course.

Call the police to try to get help getting your stuff, if you have evidence it is yours. You could sue him in small claims court if it gets tossed.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/09, 8:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California