Legal Question in Family Law in California

I was recently awarded physical and legal custody with no visitation for the father. He didn't even show up to the court date. He has a criminal history and uses drugs (proof was submitted to the judge when I filed for custody). Now his family wants to hire him an attorney to modify the order. I have made plans to move out of the state with my daughter and have had plane tickets purchased for some time now. I have started selling my things as well. Will he be able to keep us from going?

Asked on 8/02/11, 8:47 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

This is not a question that can be answered in an internet Q&A forum. First off, there is no way to predict the outcome of any custody dispute with certainty; chances or likelihoods are the best any attorney can do, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar. On top of that, it is absolutely impossible even to make predictions of chances or likelihoods without being able to review all the facts and evidence, and to make an independent evaluation of the issues and proof in the case. The one thing I can tell you, though, is that if he has an attorney and you do not, the likelihood of you getting the result you want will be cut by 80-90%, compared to if you both have attorneys.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/11, 9:12 pm

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

Tim is absolutely correct. Much is at stake here,: the safety and tranquility of your children, your goal to move on in your life are just two concerns. Run do not walk to a skilled family law attorney for an immediate and timely consultation about this life changing matter. Be sure to bring any current court orders to the meeting for review by the attorney.

Read more
Answered on 8/03/11, 7:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California