Legal Question in Family Law in California

My wife is fully disabled and collects disability. She has a 16 year old daughter from another marriage, whom I never formerly adopted. If I divorce her, other than current assets we have (not much, much of it mine before the marriage) do I owe child support and can is liable for alimony - particularly since I am a low wage/income earner? I have not been earning a lot this past year (under $65,000 per year), and may be earning quite a bit more in the later half of 2013 (upwards of $120,000 per year).

What will I be liable for? Child support until the step daughter reaches 18 years of age? Will I be responsible for her college tuition? In general, what should I expect?

Asked on 7/12/13, 8:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

You wouldn't owe child support for a child of another marriage, that you did not adopt. The father who owed child support would be named in the divorce papers, and child support orders would be made in that case against him, not you.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/13, 1:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California