Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

4 defendants ( 2-property managing companies; 2-H.O.A.'s) filed Demurrers to my complaint, and on the day of the demurrer hearing, the judge took it under submission and ruled on them a couple days later.

But, the judge only ruled for 3 defendants, and sustained those 3 defendants' demurrers, yet the judge made no ruling on that 4th defendants' demurrer.

That 4th defendant also had a Motion To Strike concurrently with their demurrer, and the judge didn't even address that Motion To Strike, cause on the court's minute order in only has 3 defendants's demurrers listed, and the court has each of those 3 defendants identified and that their demurrers are sustained without leave to amend, and that each of 3 of them are entitled to costs.

The court also states in that minute order that the 3 defendants prepare judgments in accordance with the courts' sustainment of their demurrers.

Since the judge made no ruling on the 4th defendant, whatsoever, can I just move to enter default judgment against that 4th defendant?

or what are other alternatives that I could use in my favor?

Asked on 6/15/13, 9:05 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

Moving for entry of default will force the judge to make a ruling. As for the other 3 you have 60 days to file your notice of appeal from the date of notice of entry of judgment. It is unusual to grant demurrers without leave to amend at least once.

Read more
Answered on 6/15/13, 9:58 am

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

Another alternative would be to call the court clerk and ask if something is missing from the order. It may just be a clerical mistake.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/15/13, 10:55 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

Mr. Tashjian is dabbling in an area that he appears to lack familiarity.

An order sustaining a demurrer is not appealable, and not time to appeal runs from the order sustaining the demurrer. Rather the appeal is taken from the dismissal which follows either an order sustaining a demurrer without leave to amend, or an order sustaining with leave to amend, after the plaintiff fails to amend. Thus the appeal is from the dismissal, which is treated as a judgment.

You don't request entry of default, unless the other demurrer was overruled, or you have been ordered to file an amended complaint, have filed and had an amended complaint served, and the time has run after service.

So I only agree with Mr. Laurie's response.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/13, 12:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California