Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

My friends roommate/boyfriend hung himself in her house they shared that she owns. His divorce was 2 days away from being finalized from his estranged wife. Estranged wife has now filed a lawsuit against my friend (year after the ruled suicide ocurred after being investigated). The claims are my friend is directly responsible for his "wrongful death" of suicide by providing him with alcohol and or drugs furthering his depression which ultimately lead to his death. Shes playing the grieving widow and all. Clearly has stated interest in going after my friends house as settlement should she win. she has a track record for suing people even her own mom.

question is, what are the chances of a judgement in estranged wifes behalf? what can my friend do to prove her innocence (she truly loved him and has been crushed by all of this)? most helpful defense to bring to court? any advice needed appreciated and helpful. thank you in advance

concerned friend


Asked on 9/24/19, 11:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gerald Dorfman Dorfman Law Office

Outlining all the possible defenses and advising on strategy is outside the scope of this free question and answer forum. The first and best thing your friend can do now is turn the lawsuit over to her homeowner's insurance carrier immediately. They will assign her an attorney and provide her a defense and coverage up to her limits.

Read more
Answered on 9/24/19, 12:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California