Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

penal code 490.5 b and c

I was caught stealing something

worth $29. They said I have to pay a

fine of $350, which I am fine with

because I deserve it. I was just

wondering what will happen after I

pay the fine. Will this be on my

record? Do I have to appear in court

and perform community service?

Asked on 12/03/08, 7:37 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: penal code 490.5 b and c

Frequently stores will send such a threatening letter, take your money, then file criminal charges with your payment as a 'confession' that can be used against you. Nope, not fair ... life isn't.

It sometimes can work to have an attorney contact the store's attorney to negotiate a written agreement including a waiver of their right to file. The fees for doing that are far less than defending against criminal charges. Contact me if interested in doing so.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/08, 7:55 pm
Phillip Lemmons, Esq. Phillip Lemmons APC, Attorneys at Law

Re: penal code 490.5 b and c

You need to ask an attorney that practices criminal law.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/08, 2:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California