Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

Bringing my boyfriend from the Netherlands to the U.S.

I am a US citizen and I want to bring my boyfriend of 3/4's of a year here to the US to live with me. We have no plans to marry at this time, and I don't want to feel forced into that option until both of us are truely ready for it. We do, very much want to live together and if possible have him working as well as myself. What options might be open for us? What route might be the fastest? I definitely have pictures, cards, a saved flower from valetines day, etc as proof of our relationship. Any help is very much appreciated!



Asked on 8/11/09, 10:26 am

5 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho

He'll need to qualify for some other type of visa, such as a student visa or a work visa (e.g. H-1B) if you do not plan to marry him and sponsor his lawful permanent residency.

You may find information on the K-1 fiancee visa process here:

Read more
Answered on 8/11/09, 11:15 am
Alice Yardum-Hunter Alice M. Yardum-Hunter, a Law Corp.

Unfortunately, there is no visa for this particular situation so it's necessary to consider other options: those that would relate to his work or, possibly the F-1 student visa. There are several different work visas that might apply. To really know which visa classification fits his situation best, I would need to explore his background, ie his resume and capabilities in either securing work, transferring himself to the U.S. from a foreign company, making an investment in an active business, and other similar scenarios. There are many, so it's not possible to be more specific without knowing more. I would be happy to help you out if you contact me offline. Fee free to check me out at, phone at 818 609 1953 or email me at [email protected] Until then, please don't rely on this as legal advice.

Alice M. Yardum-Hunter, Attorney at Law, Certified Specialist, Immigration & Nationality Law, State Bar of CA, Bd. of Legal Specialization

A “Super Lawyer” 2004 – 2009, Los Angeles Magazine

Read more
Answered on 8/11/09, 11:20 am
Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

That may not be possible unless you plan to marry. There are no visas for boyfriends, but only for a fiance (which requires you to marry within 90 days) and for a husband.

As to his being able to live and work in USA, he must qualify for any other work visa if you don't plan to marry. He cannot work on a Visitor's visa or Student visa. To obtain a work visa, he should have appropriate education, job experience, and be petitioned by a US employer.


Read more
Answered on 8/11/09, 11:22 am

Unfortunately, there are no visas available for 'boyfriends'. If you do decide later that you would like to marry, then you might consider a K-1 fiance visa, which requires your intent to marry, and that you marry within 90 days of his arrival to the U.S. If not, you would have to explore other options for him to come to live and work in the U.S. To obtain a work visa, there are many options: e.g., for an H-1B, he must qualify with the appropriate educational background, and he must find an employer to sponsor him; for an investor's visa, he would need to invest a substantial amount of money into a business in the U.S; he may be able to find a J-1 program. If he is able to attend school, then he could apply for an F-1 student visa (but he will not be able to work on this visa). As mentioned above, there are many options, depending upon his educational background, so I'd like to see his resume, education records, etc. I would be happy to meet with you or talk to you on the phone. Call 415-387-1364 or email [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 8/11/09, 12:32 pm
Ellaine Loreto Law Offices of Ellaine Loreto

Good Morning:

There are several visas that he can potentially qualify for, based on his work experience. Additionally, if he wanted to study in the U.S. he could apply for an F-1 visa. He also has the option of opening a business in the U.S. in order to obtain a visa.

If you are not ready to marry him immediately, but plan to get married a few months, you may apply for a fiance visa for him. Once he arrives in the U.S. through this visa however, you will need to get married within 90 days.

Otherwise, if he has other family members who are U.S. permanent residents or U.S. citizens who may be willing to sponsor him for his green card, that can be an alternative as well.

You can contact me directly at 714 288 0574 or at [email protected], to discuss your specific case further. Our office offers a FREE initial consultation and payment plans.

Note: The above response is provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice, nor to create an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established through payment of consideration.

I would be happy to help you out if you contact me offline. Fee free to check me out at, phone at 818 609 1953 or email me at [email protected] Until then, please don't rely on this as legal advice.

Read more
Answered on 8/11/09, 2:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California