Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

How long does it take for me to re marry I am illegal in the usa but I have gotten my marriage license but also found out she was cheating on me so if I like some one else can I do it with them or am I going to see problems later

Asked on 12/30/13, 3:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

If you did not file an immigration petition or application, or have one filed on your behalf, by April 2001, then you cannot adjust status in the United States if you entered illegally, even if you marry a U.S. citizen.

As far as getting married, you can get married any time you want, as long as you are not legally married to someone else at the time. If you are still legally married, you need to get divorced first. That is a completely separate issue from the immigration issue.

Read more
Answered on 12/30/13, 4:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California