Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

temporary resident

I have two minor kids whose temporary resident card expired on 2003, the same year I became a U.S.citizen. They were born in the Philippines. What do I need to do, should I reapply for their temporary resident card or apply them a U.S. passport?

Asked on 11/03/08, 5:41 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Thuong-Tri Nguyen Thuong-Tri Legal Services, PLLC

Consult an attorney

I am not sure I get the facts.

What do you mean by "temporary resident card"?

Were the children living with you in the US and in your legal and physical custody?

You can review your specific facts with an attorney to see whether the children automatically acquired US citizenship when you became a US citizen.

Read more
Answered on 11/05/08, 7:51 pm
Amy Ghosh Law Offices of Amy Ghosh

Re: temporary resident

They are not eligible for US passport...if they were born after you became US Citizen...they would have. You need to re-sponsor them.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/08, 12:55 pm
Alice Yardum-Hunter Alice M. Yardum-Hunter, a Law Corp.

Re: temporary resident


I've been out of town working on the U.S. election.

More information is needed to reply to your query. If you're interested, do let me know. It depends on if they entered as permanent residents and lived in the U.S. with you as such, and some other information.

Check me out at My email is [email protected]


Alice Yardum-Hunter

Read more
Answered on 11/05/08, 9:16 pm
Johm Smith tom's

Re: temporary resident

You can't get them US passports because they haven't met the requirements yet. Sponsor them again and follow through on the process; we can help you if you wish. We offer flat fees and easy access to the attorney handling your case.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/08, 5:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California