Legal Question in Intellectual Property in California

intellectual property and ownership release forms

A group of us got together to start a software company. 2 folks dropped out because of personal reasons.

Is there a form that they can sign in which they give up all claims to any intellectual property, ownership, and any compensation ? They are both OK with signing such a form.

So far the company has not been created, there is no formal agreement between any of us, no one has received any compensation, and the two who dropped off, did not invest any money.

Asked on 1/02/09, 6:16 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Gordon Firemark Law Offices of Gordon P. Firemark

Re: intellectual property and ownership release forms

Sounds like you need a formal release and partnership dissolution agreement, since the departure of the two members is a dissolution of the partnership (even though there was no formal partnership agreement or any goverment filing).

It's important to get this done properly now, so you don't have headaches later on.

It's not complicated, but it is 'custom' legal work... you won't find a form on the internet that will cover this situation properly.

Read more
Answered on 1/02/09, 11:40 pm
Johm Smith tom's

Re: intellectual property and ownership release forms

Yes there are lost of versions of contracts you can use and you may need more than one if you have protected your IP. We have something you could use; just write for a quote.

Read more
Answered on 1/06/09, 12:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in California