Legal Question in Employment Law in California

Asking on behalf of myself and co-workers after a meeting today: Can they require we who are in house employees, not outside independant reps to use our own credit and cash for out of town trips to trade shows of which we do not have the means? They took all our company credit cards away about a month ago.

Asked on 7/15/13, 9:19 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

California Labor Code section 2802 requires employers to "indemnify" employees for business-related expenses that the employee incurs as a direct result of his or her employment. This would apply to trade shows that your employer requires you to attend. However, the employer does not necessarily need to give you a company credit card; they could pay for the expenses themselves in advance, or they could reimburse you on the back end.

In any event, they can not force you to incur these expenses and then refuse to reimburse you.

If you feel your employer has violated California labor law, you should contact an experienced California employment lawyer regarding your situation.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 9:37 pm

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

Mr Korobkin hits the nail on the head

Read more
Answered on 7/20/13, 11:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California