Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I got unemployment and worked at the same time. I would like to pay back the $4k in unemployment to the state. I looked up unemployment fraud on line and the fines, penalties and fees would take all my savings and retirement. I am 65. I did this when I was in my 20's. Is there a way I can pay this back anonymously to make amends for my past mistakes? Does the state forgive any of the fines and interest? It is almost 45 years ago. I don't want to become destitute. Thank you for answering my question.

Asked on 2/18/16, 5:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Schneider, Holtz & Hutchison

The statute of limitations on unemployment overpayments is four years. Unless there is something highly unusual about your case that would have tolled the limitation clock from running, they lost the right to go after you for the overpayment more than half your lifetime ago.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/16, 9:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California