Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I work 2 shifts in one day sometimes in 2 restaurants but their own by the same person and have the same name. I clock in the clock out from both but I still only get pain minimum for all the hours i work. Is that legal for my boss to do?

Asked on 10/25/13, 2:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Your employer must pay you at time-and-a-half for your overtime hours worked, regardless if they were at one location or two locations.

In addition, if you travel between two work locations for the same employer, your employer generally is required to pay you for your travel time. For example, if you work 8 hours at one location, then travel 30 minutes to the second location and work there for 3 hours, then your employer must pay you straight time for the first 8 hours, and time-and-a-half for 3.5 hours.

If you feel your employer is violating California law, speak to an experienced California employment lawyer right away to determine your options going forward.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 10/25/13, 3:00 pm

Kristine Karila Law Office of Kristine S. Karila

Any hours worked over 8 in a workday or over 40 in the company workweek must be paid at time and one half and double time after 12 hours in a workday.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/13, 3:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California