Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

hi I've lived in my back house almost 2 yrs now. Previous owners lost home in foreclosure /auction. I was never evicted because my home is not permitted. A new owner as of 5 myths ago just served me eviction papers naming the old owners as defendants. HELP PLEASE!!! DO I NEED TO RESPOND? DOES HE NEED TO PAY FOR MY FAMILY TO RELOCATE? My home is still not permitted.

Asked on 9/08/13, 11:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

You would file a prejudgment claim which would add you to the eviction lawsuit. Then, you could raise any defense you believe might be appropriate. I would suggest that you consult with an attorney as legitimate tenants (with written rental agreements) might have some rights to stay for a period of time before an eviction happens. You can always try to negotiate with the new owner a date certain for moving out in exchange for some compensation. But there is no required compensation unless you live in certain rent-stabilized cities and the reasons are one of the just causes for the eviction.

Read more
Answered on 9/11/13, 1:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California