Legal Question in Legal Ethics in California

My mother-in-law has been solely taking care of her elderly parents (one is deceased now) in her parents home for over 8 years. Her 3 other siblings asked for this arrangement as a nursing home was off the table and they agreed to hell with costs. My m.i.l. moved in with her kids and put off moving to a new home. No money from anyone came in even after begging her siblings basically said to figure it out. She couldn't work due to the 24/7 care and her own kids had to find jobs to help pay for basic things after the money from her previous home was all spent on care. Her children suffered, could barely afford food, and had to endure the job of helping 2 very difficult ungrateful grandparents for years. m.i.l. just lost her oldest son tragically and she can't even afford a simple funeral, and has put off her own life and savings to help everyone else out but no one will help and has had to rely on her own children, who are also trying to make due, for money for food and bills. Her eldest brother has power of attorney but has done very little to help in any way. How can we legally get 8 years of back pay for her, because she literally has nothing.

Asked on 5/04/15, 8:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

This is not a Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility question. This category is for questions about the ethical obligations of lawyers to their clients and their professional duties under the Rules of Professional Conduct of the State Bar and the State Bar Act, as well as questions about legal malpractice. You need to ask your question under an appropriate category so it will be routed to attorneys who answer this kind of question.

Read more
Answered on 5/05/15, 10:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in California