Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I got a new attorney, signed to authorize the change, but we never signed a new fee agreement. I have received my settlement and my new attorney wants my old agreement to carry over to him. Wasn't he supposed to explain this to me, and have me sign a specific agreement with him?

Asked on 10/08/13, 11:32 pm

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I assume that this was a contingency fee. Business and Professions Code section 6147 requires a written fee agreement with ANY attorney who is to receive a contingency fee. Failure of the lawyer to have a written agreement is voidable by the client, but the lawyer is still entitled to recover a reasonable fee in what is known as "quantum meruit." A fee agreement with another lawyer does not "carry" over to a new lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/13, 6:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California