Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was injured in bike vs car accident where the driver of the car turned left in front of my path. The other party is taking complete responsibility for my injuries. Should I obtain and lawyer or just settle myself with their insurance company? My injuries include at least 3 broken ribs and a separated clavicle that might need operating on. In any case, my shoulder will be disfigured for life. My bike was totaled. Thank you so much for your advice.

Asked on 10/14/09, 11:17 am

11 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik

Get a Lawyer, no question. Insurance companies are not your friends.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 11:18 am
Steven Kuhn Steven Kuhn

Your injury sounds serious enough that legal counsel would be of great assistance to you. You do not want to give a statement to the other party's insurance company and want to make sure your get proper legal advice in the handling of your case. Feel free to contact our office for a free consultation at (949) 218-6600 x 101 or (877) 238-3086. Please also feel free to visit our website at

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 11:21 am

I would advise you to retain an attorney immediately.Do not delay as it can only harm not help your case.If you wish to speak to me contact me at 916-448-8831.In any event I extend my wishes for a quick physical recovery

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 11:43 am

I am a biker myself. It could have been worse, but it is bad enough to assure that you get all you deserve. Contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 12:38 pm
Barry Simon Law Office of Barry J. Simon

In terms of getting a lawyer, I agree with many of the other comments but first I would find out how much coverage (if you can) the carrier has for the at fault driver. If the policy limits are only 15 K and you have a lot of medical bills and you have no coverage yourself to help compensate you, then you don't need a lawyer because a lawyer will take 1/3 typically of the settlement. On the other hand, if the driver has a much bigger insurance policy, you need to hire a lawyer right away to protect your rights and maximize your recovery.

Feel free to email or call me with any questions. My email is: [email protected] or you can reach me at 1-877-733-4393.

Barry J. Simon, ESQ.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 1:17 pm
Jay P. Renneisen Law Offices of Jay P. Renneisen

Hi there. The previous advice to get an attorney is totally correct. The insurance company will try to take advantage of you by offering a settlement lower than what you will get with an attorney. Also, you will need a orthopedic surgeon expert to assess the lifetime disfugurement to your shoulder and your other serious injuries. Having an experienced personal injury attorney to coordinate and direct that analysis will be important to obtain the highest settlement value for your case. So, bottom line, you definitely want an attorney.

I am a personal injury specialist and have been practicing here in the East Bay for over 15 years. Most of my cases are in Contra Costa and Alameda counties, although I do take cases throughout the greater Bay Area. I handle all my cases personally and I work solely on a contingency fee basis. I cover all costs of the litigation, including the cost for an expert surgeon to review your medical records, etc., and to provide an opinion regarding the extent of injury and future medical needs. If you higher my firm you will be guaranteed to never come out of pocket no matter what happens with the case.

I would be more than happy to give you a free consultation, either in person or on the phone, or both. My name is Jay Renneisen and I can be reached at 925-280-8900 or [email protected]. Thanks.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 1:24 pm
Sharona Eslamboly Hakim Law Offices of Sharona Eslamboly Hakim

You should certainly retain an attorney to represent you in this matter and to ensure that your rights are protected against the defendant's insurance company. Unfortunately, when you attempt to represent yourself, normally the insurance company will not make you an adequate settlement offer. Therefore, you should have an attorney on your side to ensure that you receive a proper settlement from the insuarnce company. Also, you should receive proper medical care for your fractured ribs and sepertated clavicle and be advised as to what type of future medical care you will need as these maters will be considered in assessing the value of your case.

My law firm strictly only represents injered people like you in personal injury cases. I fight for my clients rights and I provide everyone with personalized attention. I work on a contigency basis which means that I only get paid if there is a settlement. So if there is no recovery, you don't owe me a fee. You can call me for a free consultation at (888) LAW-1177. My office provides quality service to all of our clients and we will aggresively fight for you rights. I will be more than happy to discuss your case with you in greater detail.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 3:05 pm
Charles Rossman Charles Rossman Injury Lawyer

Good Lawyers listed above have given you solid advice. If I can help let me know, I make house calls.

Charles Rossman

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 3:55 pm
David Lupoff Law Offices of David B. Lupoff

You need to speak with an attorney now. Many other lawyers responded to your question, just contact a few of us and hear what we have to say about your case. Feeling comfortable with your lawyer is very important. Give my office a call at 1.877.505.INJURY.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 6:47 pm
Michael Stone-Molloy The Lion's Law Office

Well, you have a serious injury in a case where the other side admits they are at fault, and you ask a room full of attorneys if you need to hire one? I have to say, Barry Simon has the most honest answer, hands down, and he's completely accurate. What I can do for you, however, is make the whole proposition virtually risk-free. Upon signing up with my office, I will send one letter to the insurance company. If I get you a settlement for policy limits with that one letter and it's a minimum policy, I will only take 10%, and I will not charge any other fees or costs. If you're interested, call me at 877-LION-FOR-LAW 546 6367

Read more
Answered on 10/14/09, 10:40 pm
Norman Gregory Fernandez, Esq. The Law Offices of Norman Gregory Fernandez & Associates

Listen, it sounds like you have a substantial case. You would be a fool to settle it without an attorney. You have no clue what or how much you are entitled to.

Call me for a free consultation at 800-816-1529 ext. 1. Check out my website at

I am known as the "Biker Lawyer" in the State of California. You can check out that website at

Above all, I have a San Francisco office which is close by you, and I can come to you so that you do not have to worry about coming to us.

We will take care of you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/09, 12:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California