Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was pulling out of a parallel parking space on the street near a corner. Another car came around the corner and we had a collision. There is minor bumper and body damage to each car. The other driver said it was my fault; I think it was his. Do I need to call the police or file a police report? Do I need to report this to my insurance company? Who has the right of way?

Asked on 10/09/09, 9:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Stone-Molloy The Lion's Law Office

This sounds like a comparative liability case, at best, but most likely you have the major share of the blame. A car turning onto a street must do so safely, but by the time he got to your parking space he was probably fully straightened out and in control of the lane. A person entering a roadway from a parking space has the same obligation to enter safely, so by that time, you were the one with the obligation, and he was the one with the right of way.

Read more
Answered on 10/12/09, 7:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California