Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

If I am "requested to advise the court clerks office of any council of record whose name did not appear on the document, or attach any notice;" what does that mean and how do I find out? I filed a lawsuit over three years ago against the men who raped me. My attorney had a conflict early on, but waited until 6 mos ago to withdraw, and did so by notifying me by email (it was all very underhanded), and now I don't know how to proceed. I can't find another lawyer this late, and mine dismissed five defendants against my wishes and without my knowledge before he withdrew. I have missed two hearings but have two default judgements. I have a case management hearing next month. I'm panicking.

Asked on 12/13/19, 11:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Either hire a new lawyer if you can, or notify the court of your correct contact information and that you are 'in pro per' without counsel.

Either way, your case must be prepared properly [prosecuted] to get ready for trial, otherwise at some point, before or at the start of trial, the other Party will request the court to dismiss it for 'failure to prosecute'. This upcoming CMC hearing is where you are required to show the court what you are doing that is required to get the case ready for trial. If you go 'pro per', you are expected to know and do all the things necessary just as if you were an attorney, because you are 'your own attorney'. I understand there are 'how to' books available to guide you in the general basics, if all else fails. Don't wait until trial to say 'I don't know what to do'. That will be too late.

Check and see if some non-profit womens' rights or rape advocacy group will help you, represent you, or find you a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/19, 10:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California