Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I am on Social Security/SSI and received a settlement for a personal injury case. Now Social Security wants me to pay them back the SSI for two years stating because I received this settlement they counted it as income and are stating that they want me to pay back my SSI from 2016-2018. I did not think that a personal injury settlement was taxable or that I needed to report this to Social Security. The money was spent right away because I was living homeless on the street and was using the money to survive as far as food , clothing, and other necessities. Am I responsible for paying Social Security back because this was from a personal injury settlement>

Asked on 2/21/19, 10:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

You should contact a SS benefits specialist atty, which you might find in one of the local public interest, low income service legal clinics. They might be able to help you, or at least educate you about the rules that apply to your situation.

Read more
Answered on 2/21/19, 12:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California