Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

When me and my father bought cemetery plots several years ago, I paid for my plot and told the cemetery representative that I wanted to have my own paperwork, but the paperwork was not issued in my name too.

I have informed my mother that I wanted the paperwork for my individual plot that I paid for and I have not received it. I may want to sell my plot and be buried somewhere else. My mother told me they could give me the money l spent on my plot, but I want the paperwork so I can decide if I want to sell it at current market price. We bought the cemetery plots over 20 years ago. Prices have gone way up over the years.

Can I sue my parents if they refuse to have the paperwork redone to separate my plot from the remaining others or if they just want to give me what I paid for my plot over 20 years ago?

Asked on 5/26/22, 9:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

If you really want to go down that path, yes, you can sue for what is called "partition" to have title to the plots separated.

Read more
Answered on 5/27/22, 9:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California