Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

My neighbors placed an ugly large tin shed over the County's right of way and the beginning of their property line, and thus are in non-compliance with zoning regulation. The shed almost in front of our house, and also is blocking what was a very nice view. The county has cited them for not meeting the 15; front yard setback requirement, however, nothing has happened in over a year, and they will only tell me that their process is confidential. Another neighbor told me to give it up, because they rarely enforce non-hazardous complaints. Is my only other option civil court, and if so, could the court refer it back to code compliance?

Asked on 7/11/22, 8:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Yes your only remaining option is court, though it’s not clear what rights you have in the matter since it is on their property and the County’s right of way. You may be able to sue for nuisance. You’d have to go over the details and specifics with a lawyer to figure out if you have a case.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/22, 10:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California