Legal Question in Tax Law in California

years of tax fraud

After 15 or so years of filing false tax returns, ie taking illegal deductions, i believe the IRS is coming after me. My x-wife turned me in for tax fraud. How likely is the IRS to do an audit? how long does it take them to investigate and what is the likely hood i would do time? do i need an attorney?

Asked on 11/11/04, 10:24 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Donald Field Donald L. Field, Jr., Attorney at Law

Re: years of tax fraud

Yes you definitely need to be represented by an attorney with experience in tax fraud cases. If you have been reported to the IRS it is very likely that there will be an examination (audit). The IRS does not necessarily move with any speed, and it can take years before an audit is completed or a criminal investigation leads to an indictment. If a criminal investigation is started you can expect to have your books and records seized by means of a search warrant.

Keep in mind that the IRS can pursue both criminal and civil tax fraud against the same taxpayer. This means that in extreme cases an individual can both serve time and also be faced with a crushing tax bill (the civil fraud penalty is 75% of the taxes).

I have represented taxpayers in civil tax fraud cases with the IRS and the California State Board of Equalization. I have also represented several taxpayers who were under criminal investigation by the IRS or had already been indicted.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/04, 10:51 pm
Karen J. Segel Law Offices Of Karen J. Segel

Re: years of tax fraud

Call me or any tax attorney, as you definitely need

counsel to represent you in this. However, you have

stated what is only a "belief" that the IRS is coming after you. Why do you have such a "belief"?

Have they sent you any papers? the tax authorities look skeptically at complaints from ex-spouses, so it is not necessarily true that they will investigate. If they do, it can take years before this occurs. If it is truly a fraud case, they will refer it to CID, but usually it won't get that far. I've had over 25 years tax experience so feel free to call.

Karen J. Segel, Esq.

Law Offices of Karen J. Segel


e-mail: [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/14/04, 11:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in California