Legal Question in Traffic Law in California

My son got a "Notice to Appear" for speeding ticket in December 2009 and did not appear. He is bipolar. Now he has a letter saying to pay the ticket within 10 days or it will be another $300. I want him t learn a lesson and face a judge but the ticket is with L.A. Superior in Santa Clarita Court, Valencia, CA. Can he just appear at a local L.A. court without an appointment to plead guilty? He is going to have to say he can't pay the fine. What do you think the consequences will be? The bail is $1,015 (less $300 if paid within 10 days). He is also currently on informal probation.

He is getting a letter from his doctor to say he has mental problems.

Thank you so much.

Asked on 5/04/10, 4:06 am

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Do not use the court system to teach your son a lesson. He should go to any L.A. court and volunteer to do jail time instead of paying. He'll be out in less than a day with jail overcrowding.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/10, 5:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in California