Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

Amending a death certificate

The incorrect social security number (my deceased father's) rather than my mother's number was recorded on her death certificate upon her death Nov.25,2005. As successor trustee I have filed an amendment with the State Department of Vital Records. The anticipated leadtime to issue the amended death cert. is at least 5 months. Is there any procedure to move the process along quickly? Since her power of attorney ended with her death I am not able to move funds out of cds or sell stock or make timely financial decisions. Is there an interim document I can have drawn up? Thank you.

Asked on 2/07/06, 5:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ken Koenen Koenen & Tokunaga, P.C.

Re: Amending a death certificate

You should immediately contact the individual who prepared the death certificate and ask that he prepare an amended certificate. Might go faster through the county, where it is recorded.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/06, 5:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California