Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My biological father who passed away last year, was a criminal for most of my life and he never payed child support even though my mother had gone to court for it. Since he moved states and jails frequently & we were never able to pin him down for it. His mother just passed away a few month ago and I was told by distant relatives the estate is to be split 3 ways, the wife he was married to less than a year ( not a reputable woman) my half brother who lives in the family home in Jackson, TN and myself. I am being kept mostly out of the loop because they believe me to have no interest in the estate due to my lack of contact with that side of the family.

So my question is would it be worth pursuing more than 1/3 of the estate due to the 18 years of back child support owed (my half brother was paid off while he was still a juvenile) or should I just contact their attorney in Jackson, TN and take whatever they have to give.

Asked on 7/15/13, 11:32 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Chris Johnson Christopher B. Johnson, Attorney at Law

Check with an attorney--the answer will depend on where the estate is and where the support order is/was, but depending on the various states' laws, you may be able to get the support paid before any money is distributed to your father.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 11:45 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I suggest contacting an attorney in the state where the estate is being probated so that you can file a claim.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 1:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California