Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My brother, the successor trustee, and I do not have a good relationship at all. I am a 50/50 beneficiary and the trust is now irrevocable. He was hostile initially, but became reasonable with his communication since. My father passed 3 months ago. Essentially there is a house to be sold and two bank accounts to be distributed. I read there is an accounting requirement annually. My question is if I ask for bank account balances at the time of my father’s passing or the current balances is by brother required to give me that information now or does he have a full year if he has to report the accounting annually? Is he required to communicate with me if I ask that question and how long is it reasonable to give him if I ask the question? He has not responded for 4 days at all. Prior to that he was communicating. Am I being reasonable? This is in California.

Asked on 11/18/21, 7:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

There is supposed to be a full accounting when there is a change of trustee. The trustee must also account to the beneficiary within 60 days of a written request and annually.

Read more
Answered on 11/19/21, 11:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California