Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

I’m trying to get a copy of my grandfathers will. I had a copy many years ago when I was a child but have since lost it. I have requested a copy from those Involved but they just get angry and refuse my request.

I suspect something was done illegal. I would like to obtain a copy without going thru them.

Can I get a copy of a will from the court house? If so how do I do this?

Asked on 7/16/19, 11:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gerald Dorfman Dorfman Law Office

Assuming you grandfather is deceased, and his estate was "probated" (went through a court proceeding) you can review the file of probate court. The will will be in the file. If you do not know where the probate took place, try the county where he resided at the time of his death. Even if there was no probate proceeding, the will may have been "lodged" with the probate court, since anyone who has an original will is supposed to lodge it within 30 days of learning of the death.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/19, 2:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California