Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

I am married, live in CA and my spouse currently owes back child support. Can any inheritance left to me be taken due to this?

Asked on 8/22/09, 12:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Larry L. Doan Law Office of Larry L. Doan

No. Your inheritance, even if acquired after your marriage is considered your separate property. And your separate property is not liable for a child support obligation of your spouse that does not arise out of the marriage.

Note: The above response is provided for legal information only and should not be construed as legal advice, nor to create an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established through payment of consideration. We do not offer free advice except for the information provided herein on LawGuru which has been screened. If follow-up advice on your specific situation is desired, we offer a paid consultation in person if you are in the Los Angeles area, or by phone or email.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/09, 2:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California