Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My step mom and our family of 5 children all have rights to the family house (6 total) after my dad died. Recently she sent me a Quit Claim so she can have full rights to the house which I will not be signing. I just found out that the house has been in escrow for the last two weeks (shouldn't I have received a notice of proposed action?). I do not want to stop the sale of the house I only want my 1/6 of the sale price. Currently the house is to be sold for $455,000 +. My question is do I have to do anything (court/legal wise) to receive the money?

Asked on 11/01/17, 10:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group

When you say that you all have rights to the house, I'm not sure what you mean. In order to answer your question a lawyer would need to see certain documents. Is this house part of a Trust? Who is the Trustee? The Step-Mom (sounds like)? What are the terms of the Trust? How is title to the house held? Given that there is already an escrow, you'll need to speak to a lawyer ASAP.

Read more
Answered on 11/01/17, 10:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California