Legal Question in Workers Comp in California

My friend loaned me his car so I could job hunt and I got into a car accident my front hitting his rear, low speed, city street. No damage done to friend's car, just a bumper scratch on the work vehicle he was driving as part of his job. His boss came took pictures for insurance reasons and reassured me that since nobody was hurt things would be fine and even said they will not even make a claim on the vehicle due to damage being so little. I then get this letter in the mail "company (admin by another company) will seek recovery of all monies pursuant to the provisions of the Workers' Compensation Act, under the right of recovery as provided in the Labor Code." I only make $8,000 a year. What should I do? How do I get a free lawyer or somebody to help me not go back to sleeping on the streets with mountains of debt?

Asked on 11/18/13, 9:56 pm

Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping injured workers all over California. We can help you recover for your injuries as a result of an accident at work. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ronald Mahurin Law Offices of Ronald Glenn Mahurin

It appears that the person driving the vehicle that was hit filed a workers' compensation claim. It should be covered under your friend's company car insurance. If there is no insurance, you probably know what type of trouble you and your friend are in, a claim will be made with the Uninsured Benefits Trust Fund and a civil and perhaps criminal proceeding will be started naming you and your friend as parties.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/13, 11:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in California