Legal Question in Business Law in Colorado

Company refuses to pay self-contractor for services

I did insurance exams for a company in Colorado, but performed in my state Minnesota. I quit twice because they don't send the supplies promised and paychecks promised were late. They now refuse to pay what they owe me stating in writing that quitting so sudden is ''malicious'' and their immature letter states they don't feel like paying me now. When I file in small claims, can I be awarded any punitive damages or other ''vindictive'' fees because they willingly refuse to pay. Can I collect travel expenses since I have to travel to their state?

Asked on 11/15/01, 8:08 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Vincent W. King Vincent W. King, PA

Re: Company refuses to pay self-contractor for services

Regarding punitive damages, no, under Minnesota law there is no claim for malicious breach of contract no matter how vindictive their conduct was. Not sure about Colorado law. Depending on the rules of the Colorado court, you may be able to claim mileage to Colorado as a taxable cost if you win in small calims court.

Read more
Answered on 11/16/01, 9:53 am
Kim Shepherd Shepherd Law Firm PLC

Re: Company refuses to pay self-contractor for services

I don't know anything about small claims in Colorado. You should call the court and they may be able to give you information. Also, make sure you keep accurate records for the moneys you are claiming due as well as all correspondence. Another alternative might be to check with a collection agency/attorney in Colorado to see if they can collect for you. That may be less expensive than traveling there.

Read more
Answered on 11/16/01, 9:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Colorado