Legal Question in Criminal Law in Colorado

I want to transfer my misdemeanor probation from Colorado to Texas. My whole family lives in Dallas and has for over 80 years. My job is also located there ( I currently work remotely as a telecommuter). My charge is Harassment and is a misdemeanor with 2 years probation and DV classes and fines. Fines are paid , DV classes underway, have 19 months left on sentence .My father just passed away and my 87 year mother needs help in Texas to survive and support herself. I also have an older special needs brother in Texas that needs help and support also. I am 47 years old and have been gainfully employed my whole life with one prior for MJ possession misdemeanor deferred which happened in Texas 22 years ago. Do I need a lawyer to handle this , I have researched the transfer but there is so much information I'm finding it confusing and was thinking a lawyer that specializes in these cases may help. Should I get a lawyer to start the process and will a lawyer be able to expedite the transfer?

Asked on 1/18/14, 12:45 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Damon Cassens Waters, Kubik, and Cassens

It is actually a simple process.

1) Contact the probation department where you want to go, and see if they will accept you as an interstate transfer.

2) Contact your probation officer. Explain all of the above; let him/her know that you've arranged a transfer, and give him/her the contact information for the probation department where you want to move, and where you've made arrangements to transfer.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/14, 6:31 am

As an alternative to transferring probation, you could move the court to terminate your probation early. This motion would likely not be successful until you have completed the DV classes. If you are close to done with those classes, you might want to file such a motion.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/14, 12:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Colorado