Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

My fianc´┐Ż and I have been together and living together, raising kids together for 6 years now. He told me last night to get me and my kids out of his house (he started seeing another woman) locked the doors and changed our garage code. All of mine and my kids belongings are there. I quit school and gave up my housing to raise his kids and take care of our family. He has had me be a home maker. We bought a house but he did not put my name on the house or vehicle or assets. If i didnt raise his kids he would not have been able to work to obtain the assets he has. Can he legally kick my kids and i out without notice? Am i entilted to any of the assets or any kind of compensation?

Asked on 10/31/16, 11:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

You need to schedule a consultation with an attorney. Bring a copy of your last tax return.

A fiance is not the same thing as an actual wife. If you have any kids together, you are certainly entitled to child support, but your ability to claim alimony or any part of assets that are not in your name is very shaky. Unless you can establish a common law marriage, you don't have a right to these things. Girlfriends do not have the same rights as wives. If you agreed to take care of him without having him actually marry you, the result was predictable and you are probably out of luck.

You could probably fight for the right to a 7 day notice before you have to move and you are entitled to your property and your children's things. However, you are not in a good position.

Read more
Answered on 11/01/16, 3:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado