Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

I have been married and supported by a lady for 30 years, I have always been completely dependent on her. Now she, at 70, wants me to leave, do I have any rights like say a wife would have? I will be homeless and on the street if I go. She is very well to do.

Asked on 11/30/16, 10:29 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

If you are married to her, then you have exactly the same rights that a wife would have. Husbands and wives are treated equally in Colorado.

Read more
Answered on 11/30/16, 11:59 pm
Rebecca Pescador Whole Family Legal, LLC

Mr. Harkess is correct. So that means you would be entitled to a share of any marital property and debt. It also means that you may meet the standards to be entitled to maintenance. If you meet the standards, you would be entitled to maintenance from her. You will want to consult an attorney in person to go over your situation in more detail to get an idea of what property is marital and whether you might meet the standards to be entitled to maintenance.

Read more
Answered on 12/01/16, 11:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado