Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

I am wanting to change the last name of my son to my name in Colorado, I had put his fathers last name on the birth certificate because he was there in the hospital and filled Out the birth certificate and thought he wanted to be part of my child's life. But he has never paid child support barely sees my son. Now the fathers name in not on the birth certificate (I don't know how that happened) will the judge still make me contact him about the name change? I know he will object to it and I'm afraid that then that could get his name on the birth certificate.

Asked on 2/13/14, 10:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nitche Ward Ward Law & Associates, LLC

Our office can help you with the name change. There are several obstacles that may play a factor in your child's name change. If the father does not respond in a certain time then we may have other options to implement the name change. In addition, just because the father is not listed on the copy of the birth certificate that you have does not mean that he is not registered with vital records or the state.

Considering the complex issues in your case I do not recommend that you attempt to tackle this alone. Our office can help you with this legal task. I suggest you come in for a consult.

Our office number is 303-872-3249.

Our address is

12200 E Iliff Ave Suite 101

Aurora CO, 80014

Let them know that you spoke to me on Law Guru and I am sure we can try to get you a discounted rate. We also have payment plans available.

Nitche S. Ward, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/14, 8:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado