Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Colorado

Leasor and Occupant issues

I live with my boyfriend in an apartment. We have had a dispute and I would like him to leave. He is listed only as an occupant on the Lease, and I am the Leasor. He does pay half the rent, phone and utilities. Is there a notice time frame that is needed in order for him to move out or be evicted, of three days, one month or do we both have equal rights to the apartment?

Asked on 9/12/00, 4:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stanley Spring Stanley A. Spring, Attorney at Law

Re: Leasor and Occupant issues

If I understand your question, you signed a lease to rent an apartment, usually called the "leasee" or tenant. You are the one legally obligated on the lease. If push came to shove he would have no obligation to the landlord. If there is domestic violence, you can get him excluded from the home by going to court and asking fo a restraining order. If not then you may have to file an eviction notice and use the courts to help you get him out. You will need an attorney to do this. If you don't know who to call and live in the metro area, call the bar association for a referral attorney.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/00, 11:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Colorado