Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Colorado

I am separated from my husband and want to buy a house. We own no property together and have our own checking and savings account. He owns the house I lived in and I was never placed on deed and that is fine. I want nothing financial from him and have a good job. What do I need from him if anything to get a loan and buy a house. I live in Colorado not a community property state

Asked on 2/23/19, 8:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dave Rich Flatiron Legal Advisors, LLC

You might not need anything specific to buy the house. To protect your interest in the house and future equity gains (and having it divided in the event of a divorce), you might consider a marital agreement (a/k/a, a post-nup), though that should be discussed with an attorney with respect to if you are considering divorce. Another option is a legal separation. You also could simply buy the house in your name, but that has far less certainty and more risk in the event a future divorce.I hope this helps.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/19, 8:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Colorado