Legal Question in Disability Law in Connecticut

I am 21yrs old an i try to walk out with a shirt of 6.99 dollars I have a ticket to apear in court what should I do

Asked on 9/04/10, 11:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Wetmore The Law Office of Jonathan A. Wetmore

The outcome of your case will depend greatly on a few factors:

1. Do you have a criminal history?

2. Has restituion been made to the store from which the shirt was taken?

3. Were you cooperative with the store staff and the arresting officer?

Depending on the aforementioned, you may be able to have the charge nolled by paying a charitable contribution or completing community service. Alternatively, you may be able to have the charge dismissed if you complete the accelerated rehabilitation program. If you are eligible for the program, you must apply with the court. Between your first court date and your second court date, the bail commissioner will determine whether you are eligible for the program (based on your criminal history and the nature of the current charge). You will be given a second court date at whcih you must argue why the Court should grant your application. Finally, if granted and you complete the conditions of the program, the charge will be dismissed.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss your case further. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/10, 2:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in Connecticut