Legal Question in Immigration Law in Connecticut

Time allowed outside the USA

I have married a Czech woman who has recieved her permanent resident card. We have been outside the USA for 5 months and am wondering when she has to be back in the country. I have heard 6 months is the maximum. Is this true? How long does she have to stay until she can leave again? Thank you for your help.

Asked on 5/22/08, 12:16 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Prior Pacific Law, Inc., P.S.

Re: Time allowed outside the USA

From the Immigration Service's cite at :

International Travel

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

You can find more information about travel documents from "How Do I Get a Travel Document?"

Read more
Answered on 5/24/08, 2:55 am
Rachel Baskin Rachel Baskin, Attorney at Law

Re: Time allowed outside the USA

There is a presumption that if she remains outside of the US for more than 6 months that she has abandoned her permanent residence. If she has a good reason to stay outside of the US for that time (ie, family or work) then she may be eligible to apply for special permission to remain outside of the US. However, she must apply for this special travel permit while in the US.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please do not hestitate to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/08, 12:23 pm
Tsirina Goroshit Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit & Associates, P.C.

Re: Time allowed outside the USA

She can stay out of U.S for 6 months, for a good reason up to one year. However, if she wants to be out for more then a year, she must obtain

re-entry permit.

Please contact us for detailed information at

Read more
Answered on 5/22/08, 12:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Connecticut