Legal Question in Personal Injury in Connecticut

My ather was hit on his scooter and was seriously injured. In fact he was near death as the person drove off. Witnesses stop the person from leaving the accident site and my father has had over 16 months of recovery. To dae he still cant walk far, has electrodes in his back to stiulate the nerves and goes off into days of craziness where he once made toilet paper soup and cooked bacon on the open stove burner (No pan) He can no longer take care of my mother and thier quality of life has suffered. A well advertised injury lawyer in New Haven took the case where a paraegal got him 100k in damages (Minus 35 for lawyer fees, 35 for medical reimbursement and some for the state of CT. He walks away with 37k out of 100k because thats all the car insurance was insured for. I doubt any lawyer actually spent any time in working this case. Can he go after the home owners insurance or anything to net him more than 37K? I find this very difficult to believe.

Asked on 8/16/12, 2:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Serrano Serrano & Serrano, LLC - Connecticut Accident, Social Security & Divorce Lawyers

I'm sorry to hear about this tragedy in your family. Unfortunately it often happens that people are involved in serious accidents with little or even no insurance.

I would be very surprised if a homeowner's policy would cover this kind of claim. Every homeowner's policy I have ever seen excludes coverage for injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents.

If your parents, or anyone related to them and living with them, had an insurance policy with uninsured / underinsured limits grearter than $100,000, your father would be able to make a claim against that policy. Please feel free to call me directly if you would like to discuss this further.

John Serrano, Esquire

860.236.9350 office or 860.977.0660 cell

Read more
Answered on 8/16/12, 2:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Connecticut