Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Connecticut

My aunt, Gerry who has Power of Attorney over my grandmother has been gifting out money to her 2 children for years. Unfortunately, my father, Jim who finally got Power of Attorney 2 summers ago to try and see what Gerry was up to, passed away last March. As soon as my dad was gone, she put my grandmother in a nursing home, disposed of all of the furniture in the house and now wants to sell the house. We have a copy of the will (which may have been changed) which states that we the grandchildren are entitled to � of the estate if my father dies. I don�t really care about the money, it just disgusts me to the level of greed and cover up my aunt has gone too. I want to send her a legal letter of some kind to let her know that we are on to her and have a copy of the will. When my Grandmother dies, we will never hear from her again and I just don�t want her to get away with this.



Asked on 1/26/12, 11:06 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Peter Van Dyke Eagan, Donohue, Van Dyke, & Falsey, LLP


Unfortunately, this seems to be a very common question lately. We have represented several people in cases with similar facts. Please feel free to give me a call to discuss your options. Our firm is located in West Hartford.


Peter Van Dyke

Read more
Answered on 1/27/12, 6:30 am
Linda Subbloie Linda A. Subbloie, Esq.

If the power of attorney does not have specific language permitting "gifting" then those gifts may be void.

You could apply to be your grandmother's conservator. Then the power of attorney is no longer valid and you can manage your grandmother's affairs.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/12, 12:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Connecticut