Legal Question in Insurance Law in Delaware

Defending insurance claim

My daughter had an accident involving her car and a motorcyclist. Motorcyclist was charged with negligence by city police dept. He had broken down on side of road and then came forward quickly without lights on and crashed into back door of her car as she was making left-hand turn. Motorcyclist is suing us for unspecified damages. Ins. co. has assigned a law firm to represent us. Do we need to hire our own attorney as well? We have no prior experience with law suits and don't know the workings of the legal system pertaining to this type of litigation. Thanks for your help.

Asked on 1/16/06, 12:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce W. McCullough Bodell, Bove', Grace & Van Horn. P.C.

Re: Defending insurance claim

The law firm is hired by the insurance company to represent your daughter's interests. I do this type of work and rarely see a privately-retained attorney for my client, although the defense attorney would cooperate with a personal attorney if you hired one.

My clients ask me about this situation regularly and I do not have any problem with explaining the attorney-client relationship and my ethical obligations to my client, who is the insured, not the insurance company. Your daughter should feel comfortable exploring this with the attorney retained to represent her.

Read more
Answered on 1/16/06, 1:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Delaware