Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in District of Columbia

My ex roommate owes me $9,600. He lived with me in Boston, ma from 11/2013-08/2013. He signed the lease and was considered the head of household. I paid all the bills (rent, cable, electric) online so I'm assuming it will be fairly easy for me to get those records.

I contacted an office in Boston about this and they said I had to find a DC lawyer since my ex roommate has since moved to DC. My ex roommate and I were friends and ended on good terms, he has bad credit and always finds an excuse when I ask for the money.

Asked on 10/10/13, 5:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

You may want to check with another lawyer to see if Massachusetts has jurisdiction in the matter. The contract was made in Mass and he had sufficient contacts with the state. However, each state has different jurisdiction laws. Call around to other lawyers just to determine if Massachusetts still has jurisdiction in the matter despite his move to DC.

If the lawyers confirm you can sue him only in DC, you can sue him yourself. It will be cheaper for you to file in court, serve him, and appear versus hiring a lawyer to represent you. Even with a lawyer, you will still have to appear for the hearing to testify and pay for filing and service of process. If you are successful in court, you can be awarded costs for your filing fees and service.

Also, keep in mind, even if you are successful in court, collection may be difficult if he doesn't work for garnishment or assets to levy.

Also licensed in DC.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/13, 1:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in District of Columbia