Legal Question in Family Law in District of Columbia

hi I have been married for 10 years and my husband is the sole provider of our home and 4months ago

he just jump up and moved out leaving me with bills and no income since I was a housewife what can I do about this can I sue him for bill money.

Asked on 6/29/10, 3:47 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Sudeep Bose Bose Law Firm, PLLC - Former Police, Prosecutors & Investigators

You can "sue" him by filing for divorce after 12 months passes since he moved out. At that point, your assets and your debts will be divided amongst the two of you. The court will consider various factors about how the two of you behaved while in the marriage and why the separation occurred to determine how the marital property and debt is divided. Being a house wife will not be a bar to the asset division.

You and your husband can also reach your own agreement and have that incorporated into the divorce decree. If you have such an agreement, you can file for divorce in as early as 6 months after he moved out, but only if you don't have any children.

Please contact me or another divorce attorney immediately to discuss your situation in detail and in private, and to obtain more precise advise on how to proceed.

Read more
Answered on 6/30/10, 5:55 am

Sudeep Bose Bose Law Firm, PLLC - Former Police, Prosecutors & Investigators

The above answer is for Virginia law, not DC Law. Please disregard.

Read more
Answered on 6/30/10, 5:56 am
Paula McGill Paula McGill Attorney at Law

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

You should sue for divorce and seek emergency support with your initial filing.

I am actually licensed and practice family law in Washington, DC.

I am available to discuss this matter with you in DC.



Read more
Answered on 7/02/10, 1:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in District of Columbia