Legal Question in Traffic Law in Florida

Trafic ticket

I got a citation for displaing my father handicap placard while parked to pick him up (i drive him around) Cop refused to hear what i had to say ot speak to my father who was iside the fasility where i was picking him from. The citation says unlowaful display pf desable permit. The trafic ticket people teling me i can be convicted of a felony. I dont know what to do. My father is very upset and cant believe this is how the system works, since he is the one who gave me the permit in the first place and told me to use it any time i am picking him up or droping him off. What shoud i do. HELP

Asked on 6/16/09, 9:29 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joseph Dobkin The Law Offices of Joseph M. Dobkin

Re: Traffic Ticket

I have handled many, many of these cases successfully. You are going to have to fight it or else accept the heavy consequences and stigma associated with a violation of this statute. You apparently live or work in Coconut Grove. Most of these cases I that have dealt with have been with Miami Beach Police. Was yours City of Miami Police or Miami-Dade Police? Please advise. I am at a seminar today until 3 p.m. My assistant is closing on her home today, also. If you want to call for an appointment, please do so.

Joseph M. Dobkin, Esquire

Read more
Answered on 6/16/09, 9:42 am
Robert M. Perez Law Office of Robert M. Perez, State and Federal Criminal Defense

Re: Trafic ticket

First, relax and take a deep breath. You are going to be fine and you are not going to be subjected to a felony or jail time. You are going to be notified for a court date, the arraignment (opportunity to plea guilty/not guilty to the charges), within the next couple of weeks. I would have your father there and, if possible, a letter from the facility your father was at giving the reason he was there on their letterhead signed by a representative. I would present that to the prosecutor to see if that does the trick to convince them to drop the charges. If not, then I would retain an attorney to prepare your defense for a trial. You can contact my office any time for a free consultation at

Read more
Answered on 6/16/09, 9:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Florida